A short history of the 3rd Bromley Scout Groups
The Group was formed in August of 1909 by the Rev Arthur Parham curate at St Mark’s Church, the first meetings were held in St Mark’s church hall.
By 1913 there was a problem of the boys under Scout age who were wishing to join and a experimental scheme was started which 3rd Bromley was selected to take part in.
The scheme was completed in 1916 and the Wolf Cubs were then officially recognized as part of the Scout Movement, the 3rd Bromley Cubs were by then two years old.
At the outbreak of the Great War in 1914 the services of the Scout Movement was offered to the Nation and was recognized by the Government as the uniform of a non military public service body.
Scouts were asked to act as orderlies and helpers for V.A.D. hospitals in Bromley for the reception of war casualties, other war work was waste paper collection, making splints and preparing bandages, also helping refugees and as messengers for the Town Hall and they would sound the ‘All Clear ‘ on bugles at the cessation of a any raid.
Forty five members of the 3rd Bromley Troop volunteered for active service during the war, eight lost their lives.
In 1920 a new section was added to the group for older scouts, The 3rd Bromley (Eaton) Rover Scout Crew was the first in Bromley and named after their Troop Leader, William Eaton who was killed in action on April 6th.1918.
In 1922 it was decided that the group needed its own hall and a fund was started, it took seven years to start the project and in 1929 land in Glanville Road was purchased and the new headquarters was built with most of the work being done by the scouts themselves.
On Saturday 7th. December 1930, the Chief Commissioner, Lord Hampton, came to Bromley to perform the opening ceremony of our new home.
During the 1930s the group thrived, camps were held all over the country and the Rovers even going abroad.
In the Second World War Bromley was in the front line, there were two evacuations of children to safer parts of the country and despite this the 3rd Bromley survived and the Cubs and Scouts played an active part in the war effort, again Scouts carried out a wide range of voluntary tasks included messengers, telephonists, leaflet distribution and collection of bombed out furniture by trek cart and splint making and the erection of Morrison Shelters occupied a lot of their time, air raids caused much damage.
After theWar the group got back to its normal activities and in 1967 the Boy Scout
Association dropped the Boy in the name to become the Scout Association, the sections became Cub Scouts and Scouts, the Rover Scouts were disbanded, to be replaced by Venture Scouts.
There were changes to the training scheme to modernized the movement, taking into account the greater variety of activities available to the youth of the sixties.
In 1992 Beavers Scouts aged six to eight year olds where added to the Group and in 2007 girls were allowed to join all sections of the of the scout movement.
The Group today is made up of 6 to14 year old girls and boys and at 14 years old they move onto Explorer Scouts which is organized the Bromley Scout District.
We always want to hear from anyone who was an old member or has information about the group. Please contact the Group Archivist using the form below.